Friday 21 February 2014

My consumption (obsession) with shows.



So I’m a lover of TV series. Now this sounds like a pretty normal thing to like, most people like TV shows and it’s a great thing to talk about with others. However, my problem was that it started to affect my normal life, the fictional universe of science teacher turned meth cook, a girl who becomes the mother of dragons and the sex journalist from New York who had the best wardrobe in existence became more important than the real universe. It starts out with watching two episodes and you think wow this is great, I’ll watch one more then I’ll go to bed, but that one more episode turns into four seasons, which turns you into an insomniac with an existential crisis who hasn’t done her English coursework and will later in the term be kick off the course (true story). Now I would like to point out this is an extreme effect of watching too many programme but I used series to escape my real life. During this time, the line between fictional and reality universes becomes very blurry, for example the time I feel asleep in a class and as my teacher woke me, I called her ‘The Doctor’ (if you don’t watch Doctor Who, that will make no sense and also... watch Doctor Who.) Unknown to me, I was suffering from depression and as a way to forget that fact I felt completely useless and ugly compared to all my friends and peers, I’d watch something. Now I only realised I had a over consumption of fictional series problem when I finished a season and realised I’d have to wait another year for the next one to come out, I literally felt like my life had no purpose and I suddenly realised I had no motivation to do anything. This wasn’t because there wasn’t another season but because I was suffering from a mental illness. Now I would like to explain that yes, watching shows is great, they can inspire you, open your imagination, and show all the possible clothing or music you could be wearing and listening to, but if shows are taking over your life and making you feel never want to go outside ever again, then you probably have a problem you’re avoiding. My problem was my depression and the realisation of it; yours could just be your maths homework, these problems get replaced by the ones of the character you’re in love with on that show you’re watching, this is not good and you lose track of reality. My advice is to remember, everything must end, every show has a last episode and season (unless there is a hideous spinoff) and that’s life! However, if that thought makes you feel dead inside then at least there is the internet and millions of other people who like the same shows as you, people you can talk to about your favourite season or that bitch who you hate on that episode where someone ended up in hospital. My fictional addiction is now a controlled consumption, I watch shows because I want to but not to escape from my own life, I also think about the fact I’d probably be dead in a fictional world full of war, poverty and alien attacks... so be grateful that you only have to worry about your bills or teachers rather than concerning yourself with thoughts of the future apocalyptic. So go outside, see your friends explore and learn and while you do that, I’ll watch another episode of 24. 

No comments:

Post a Comment